Upper Mustang Trek
Upper Mustang Trek is the only one Trekking in Nepal that is most loved by the inner and the outer tourists of Nepal. The distinctive panorama of Upper Mustang that is seen in monsoon season, where the fields of “Phaper” a crop will have been just starting to bloom with stunning colored flower.
In addition to that, the eroded caves and hills where the monks in ancient times have cultivated in perfect isolation draw the major attention of visitors from all over the world. Upper Mustang Trekking that whirl around the northwest part of the Himalayas in Nepal with stupefying topography is really a capable spot to attracts one’s heart in a glimpse of the view.
Upper Mustang Trek with an itinerary of 14 days would reward you with exceptionally memorable hiking on the deep canyons and rough heights. Mustang Trek starts from the Pokhara city which is a tourist hub of Nepal. It is your choice either to make a flight or take a bus drive from Kathmandu to reach Pokhara. And ahead from Pokhara, you will come to Jomsom which is the headquarter town of Mustang district incredibly renowned for flavorful apples and its dry products.
Onwards from the Jomsom town, Upper Mustang Trekking would lead you to the dry land of Kagbeni village which resembles desert-like topography with a faithful aura of Tibetan Buddhism. The walking trail of the Kali Gandaki river to enter the upper Kagbeni village would remind you of the ancient Himalayan trading route of the Nepalese, where people used donkeys to carry their goods along the trail. The place is truly blessed with pure Buddhism that people follow their traditional life and similar Tibetan style Buddhist culture to respect their ancestors and gain prosperous life as well.
The walk further from Kagbeni would lead you to the exit point of Upper Mustang to the entrance of the Tibetan border. Certainly, trekkers would need a special permit from the Tourism Board of Nepal to travel beyond the Kagbeni. As the Upper Mustang Trek extends to the southwest vast Tibetan plateau trekkers would definitely discover old fascinating villages like Tsusang, Ghami, and Tsrang with a famous capital kingdom Lo- Manthang. The Lo- Manthang is a famous walled kingdom in the ancient time where the “Raja” king of Mustang used to rule hundreds of centuries before Nepal became a republic nation.
Series of walk progress with small stupas “Chorten” and monasteries decorated with five different colored prayers flag would snatch your heart and make it enjoyable with the joy of fresh air. Barley and buckwheat pastures of the villagers would automatically please your happiness and nurture your eyes. Thus, after the joyful trekking to the Upper dry country and Lo- Manthang with amazing experiences our walks would head back to the same alternative trail to the headquarter Jomsom.
Upper Mustang Trek is really a different experience of trekking that would gratify your heart with mesmerizing topography. Moreover, Annapurna Circuit Trek with the combo of the Mustang Trekking Itinerary would be the best ever thrilling hike for your lifetime. Stay with us and comment on our trekking blogs to get more information about trekking in Nepal forever.
After landing your flight at TIA, representative of Nepal High Trek & Expedition Pvt. Ltd. will warmly welcome you to Nepal. Then we will shift you toward your Hotel. In the evening our guide will meet you for the discussion of Upper Mustang trek with a delicious dinner.
We will spend our second-day sightseeing in Kathmandu Valley. Pashupatinath, regarded as the holiest temple of Lord Shiva, Bauddhanath was known as Little Tibet and Swayambhunath knew as Monkey Temple will be our main sightseeing destination. Then we will enter Basantpur Durbar Square. After visiting Kathmandu valley we will return back to the hotel and make preparation for tomorrow.
From today our journey starts. Early morning we will drive to Pokhara after having our breakfast. It takes us about 7 to 8 hours. In our journey toward Pokhara, we will be enjoyed with the spectacular scenery of roadside houses and forests. After reaching Pokhara we will spend our leisure time visiting the beautiful area of Lakeside.
We will catch the early morning flight over to Jomsom. From the flight magnificent view of mountain ranges with snow, a cap can be seen. After reaching Jomsom we will carry our bag and start our trek which leads us to Kagbeni (desert of Nepal).
After check our special permit at Kaagbeni we will continue our journey toward Chele. We will unknowingly picturesque desert valley of Nepal which will be so much interesting. We will walk in sandy and windy trails with up and downhill. Slowly walking we will reach the small ridges at Chele Village where we will spend our night.
From Chele, we will continue our walk toward Syangboche. We need to walk through Ekle Bhatti. After crossing Taklam La pass (3624m) we almost complete today’s walk. We need to walk on plateaus and narrow stretches. The panoramic scene of Tilicho Peak, Damodar Danda, and Yaskawa Kang will be so much memory.
After having breakfast we resume our trekking to Ghaymi. Walking uphill to Yamada La (3850m) our journey starts. Many teahouses and local villages with Tibetan culture and traditions can be seen during our walk. Climbing the Nyi Pass (4010m) and descending for a while lastly we will reach Ghaymi village.
Early morning we walk toward Charang. First of all, we need to cross Ghaymi Khola to start our journey. Ascending on the plateau and passing beside a very long Mani wall (a sacred stone wall made by the followers of Buddhism) we will Charang village of a maze of fields for our cool night.
After having breakfast we trek toward Lo-Manthang. We need to walk through the main trail. Magnificent views of Tilicho, Annapurna I, Nilgiri, and Bhrikuti Peak can be seen through our trial. Finally, we will be at Lo from where we can observe the panoramic view of Lo-Mangthang valley.
Today we spend our whole day exploring at Lo-Manthang. First of all, we will visit Namgyal Gompa (situated on a hilltop considered as an important monastery in the local community) and Tingkhar (the last main village to the northwest of Lo-Manthang). In this way, we will spend the whole day.
From Lo-Manthang our returning journey starts through different parts. Our walk goes through Gyakar with Ghar Gompa (more than 1200 years old) with Guru Rinpoche as the primary figure. We continue our trek by exploring the local area and at the end of the day, we will reach Drakmar.
Early morning after having breakfast, we return back to Ghiling. At midday, we will reach Ghiling. We will spend our remaining day exploring the area. But it’s more likely to get the dusty wind in the afternoon. It is better not to walk in the evening time. After exploring we will return back to our place for a night.
After having breakfast, we will continue our walk toward Chhuksang. We need to walk through the main trail. We will be pleased with the beautiful scenery which will be so much impressive. Walking slowly on Humpty Dumpty way we lastly reach Chhuksang where we will spend our night at a lodge.
From Chhuksang we will move toward Jomsom. Panoramic view of all around the surrounding with giant mountains can be seen in our way. A beautiful glimpse of great ranges of giant mountains will be joyful. We will be moving until we will reach to the Jomsom where we will stay our night.
We will catch the early morning flight over to Pokhara. From the flight magnificent view of mountain ranges with snow, a cap can be seen. After reaching Pokhara we will view and visit the local market at Lakeside in our leisure time. Then we will return back to the hotel to stay at our memorable night.
Waking early morning we will again view the rising sun piercing the white snows. After having breakfast we will return back to Kathmandu. It will take us about 7 to 8 hours. After reaching Kathmandu we will be shifted toward the hotel.
After spending last night at Nepal, we will pack our luggage to march ourselves towards TIA. We have to reach at the airport 3 hours before the flight. Before that, we will attend a small farewell program organized by Nepal High Trek & Expedition Pvt. Ltd.
Day 01: Arrival in Kathmandu (1,300m/4,428ft)
Day 02: Cultural Sightseeing tour & trek Preparation
Day 03: Drive from Kathmandu to Pokhara (850m): 5-6 hours
Day 04: Fly to Jomsom (2,700m) and trek to Kagbeni (2,800m): 3/4 hours
Day 05: Kagbeni to Chele (3,065m): 6 hours
Day 06: Chele to Syanbochen (3,485m): 6-7 hours
Day 07: Syanbochen to Ghami (3,530m): 5-6 hours
Day 08: Ghami to Tsarang (3,640m): 5-6 hours
Day 09: Tsarang to Lo-Manthang (3,730m): 3-4 hours
Day 10: Explore Lo Manthang/ Acclimatization
Day 11: Lo-Mangthang to Drakmar (3800 m): 6-7 hours
Day 12: Drakmar to Ghiling (3,806m): 5-6 hours
Day 13: Ghiling to Chhuksang (3050m): 5-6 hours
Day 14: Chhuksang to Jomsom (2,700): 6-7 hours
Day 15: Fly back to Pokhara 25m
Day 16: Drive from Pokhara to Kathmandu by tourist bus 7/8 hrs
Day 17: Final departure
- 3-star hotel accommodation in Kathmandu and Pokhara with breakfast
- Teahouse accommodation during the trek
- All meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) during the trek
- Welcome and farewell dinners
- All ground transportation on a comfortable private vehicle as per the itinerary
- Domestic flights (Pokhara-Jomsom-Pokhara)
- Guided city tour in Kathmandu by private vehicle
- Entrance fees for sightseeing/monument visits as per the itinerary
- An experienced, English-speaking and government-licensed trek leader and assistant trek leader
- Porter service
- Staff costs including their salary, insurance, equipment, domestic airfare, food and accommodation
- Down jacket and sleeping bag (to be returned after trip completion)
- Nepal High Trek’s trekking bag/duffel bag, t-shirt and trekking map are yours to take
- All necessary paperwork and trekking permits (National Park Permit, TIMS)
- Medical kit (carried by your trek leader)
- All government and local taxes
Not Included in the Cost:
- Nepalese visa fee
- Excess baggage charge(s)
- Extra night accommodation in Kathmandu and Pokhara because of early arrival, late departure, early return from mountain (due to any reason) than the scheduled itinerary
- Lunch and evening meals in Kathmandu and Pokhara (and also in the case of early return from the mountain than the scheduled itinerary)
- International flights
- Travel and rescue insurance
- Personal expenses (phone calls, internet, laundry, bar bills, battery recharge, extra porters, bottled or boiled water, shower, etc.)
- Travel documents: passport, visa, travel insurance, air tickets, the voucher and passport-sized photos
- Binoculars, alarm clock, and torch/flashlight/headlamps, earplug and eye mask,
- Reading and writing materials, travel games like chess, backgammon, scrabble,
- Hand sanitizer, lip balm, face, and body moisturizer, light weight towel, toiletries like toothbrush, toothpaste, multipurpose soap, deodorant, nail clippers, sanitary pads
- Money-cash and money bag,
- Sleeping bag, Down Jacket & Light warm jacket
- Day pack (with waist straps), refillable water bottle
- Sunhat, sunglasses, scarf, Bag liner,
- Sewing kit, knife, lighter, a small padlock
- Wind and waterproof shell jacket and trousers
- Comfortable walking shoes, running shoes and sandals
- Socks: thick wool blend and thin cotton to be worn in combination
- Lightweight thermal gloves
- T-shirts, trekking pole, crampons
- Underwear and shorts, long sleeved shirt, raincoat.
- Trekking/Hiking boots with spare laces
- Lightweight long trousers
- First Aid Kit
- Regular medicines